Friday, May 15, 2009

Frugal Meal Friday 5/15

Every Friday I will be sharing with you a frugal recipe. These meals will average $5 or less for a family of four, and many will give you lots of leftovers for lunches. I do not include spices in my total because everyone should have a good ensemble of spices to cook with. If you have any recipes you would like to share with others, please feel free to email it to me at: couponqueenofcorning @ hotmail.com and I will include it in my Friday's posts.

My meal for today just came up to a little over $5 (13 cents over), but it makes so much that you will be having leftovers for a couple days. The recipe was originally on Bush's site but they no longer have it on there. You can also make some cornmuffins to go with it if you so choose. In my family we have to make two boxes. 2 boxes = $1, 2 eggs = $.09, 2/3 cup of milk = $.25; total of adding corn muffins for my family is $1.34.


Bush's All-American Chili

1 pound ground meat (at least 80% lean - $1.88)
1 chopped onion ($.25)
1 chopped pepper ($.50)
2 (15 oz) cans chili beans ($1.50)
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes ($.60)
1 (6oz) can tomato paste ($.40)
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar
shredded cheese (optional - 8 oz chunk is $2)

In large pot, cook ground meat, peppers and onions until meat is browned. Drain excess grease. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese and bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer at least 20 minutes (the longer you can let it simmer the better it is yummy). Add cheese when serving if so desired.




Lisette

No comments:

Post a Comment