Thursday, May 14, 2009

In the Mood for a Cookout?

Stores are really starting to roll out the sales when it comes to food for having picnics and cooking out. Take advantage of these sales. Stock up on ketchup, mustard and BBQ sauce when they're on sale for $1. Take advantage of sales on rolls and you can freeze what you don't use.

We had a cookout on Tuesday night. I told my hubby I wasn't going to cook because I had a final the next day I needed to study for. So, him being a typical man, what does he do? Yep, he uses the grill. lol. He made hamburgers and I tended to the corn on the cob while studying in the kitchen. The hamburger patties were on sale at Wegmans for $2.49 a pound (we had to get a family size pack but that's no big deal) and the corn was 4/$1. We had strawberry shortcake for dessert (strawberries were also on sale at Wegmans for $1.50 a pound, made a cake mix that I had bought for $1 several weeks ago and used Cool Whip that I paid $1 for also). All in all, it was a very good meal and pretty inexpensive also. Total price of our meal for a family of 5 = less than $9 which included dessert.

Hubby cooked up all the patties so there was about 10 left. I used 3 patties tonight for our chili and the rest will be for future meals. What kinds of things do you like to cook out on the grill? How do you keep the costs down? Tell me what you think by leaving me a comment.

Lisette

No comments:

Post a Comment