Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Aldi's and Target Trip 7/7

We had to go to Aldi's tonight and then we headed over to Target to get a few things. They were out of the oatmeal for the kids at Aldi's, so we will stop in quickly the next time we go to work on the garden.

Here is what we got at Aldi's:
  • 3 loaves of white bread $.79 each. I have started making my own sandwich bread, so these loaves are for those times when I don't have time (or energy lol) to make more of the homemade.
  • 2 packages of 40ct paper plates $.99 each. These are to be placed in the basement and only used on certain occasions.
  • 3 pack of green peppers $1.99. I will be chopping these up tonight or tomorrow and putting in freezer for future use.
  • Tastes Like Butter $.99. We were out of the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I don't have a coupon for any other tub butter, so I decided to try this. My mom says it is pretty good, so I have to believe we will like it.
  • 6ct of popcorn $1.49. This is a really good price. I usually pay $.99 for 3 on sale at Tops.
  • 1 pound of ham $3.49, to make panninis with later this week.
  • garbage bags $2.49
  • 2 jars of strawberry spread $1.99. We thought we would try these since they are considerably cheaper than other spreads/jellies without high fructose corn syrup.
  • bag of onions $1.99
  • 2 packs of white American cheese slices $1.49 each
  • 1 package of sponges with green scrubby on one side - 2ct $.99
  • jar of salsa $1.49
  • 1 lemon $.39
  • box of animal crackers $1.29. This was bought only because my 3 year old daughter begged and pleaded with me. I would rather buy her animal crackers than candy or goodies.
  • Canola oil $2.49. I buy this instead of vegetable because it is better for us.

Amount Spent: $30.84

Amount saved by shopping at Aldi's:at least $13




We then headed over to Target to use a bunch of Kashi manufacture coupons along with Target coupons. Of course, none of them rang up right, so the poor cashier had to ring each one in by hand. What a pain, but it saved me a lot of money. lol. If you would like to print the Kashi coupons (they expire on the 14th) click here to go to a Target coupon generator.

The picture below shows what I got at Target, except for the gift for my daughter and 1 box of Kashi bars (my husband broke into those on the way home lol).




Here's what I bought at target and the coupons I used:
  • 3 boxes of Kashi Waffles at $2.54 each = $7.62. Used 3 $1.50 manufacture coupons, along with 3 $.25 off Target coupons to make these 3/2.37 or $.79 each
  • 1 box of Kashi Waffles at $2.54. Used $1.50 manufacture coupon alone (because I was a bonehead and only printed 3 target coupons instead of four - but I wanted to use it anyway because it is still a pretty good deal and the coupon expires soon), making this box $1.04
  • 2 boxes of Kashi cereal bars on sale for $2.50 each = $5. Used 2 $1.50 manufacture coupons plus $1 off 2 Target coupons to make these 2/$1 or $.50 each
  • 2 boxes of Kashi TLC bars on sale for $2.50. I only had one manufacture coupon (I was bummed) which was $1.50 plus I used a $1 off 2 coupon to make them 2/$2.50 or $1.25 each
  • Hanes 5 pack of ankle socks $5. At $1 per pair of socks, this seemed like a good deal and I desperately needed socks. The monster in the dryer has been eating mine lately. I got the ones with the pink on the toes so that my husband does not try to wear them when he runs out of clean socks. LOL
  • 2 boxes of Kashi cereal $2.66 each. Had a Target coupon for Buy One Get One Free (I thought I had a manufacture coupon for the cereal also but couldn't find it - C'est la vie) which made them 2/$2.66 or $1.33 each
  • Princess coloring table. Originally $12.98, on clearance for $9.08. This is for her birthday next month and will be deducted from her amount, making the balance about $76.
  • Degree Fine Fragrance deodorant $3.64. I used a $1.25 manufacture coupon and a $1 target coupon to make this $1.39.
  • Degree Fine Fragrance spray $3.64. I used a $1.25 manufacture coupon ans a $1 Target coupon to make this $1.39 (I bought Sexy Intrigue and it is awesome smelling!)
  • Target brand antacid (generic Tums) Originally $2.29, on clearance for $1.60

Originally Amount:$57.19
Amount Saved: $29.02
Amount Paid: $28.17 (saved 50.7%)

If you don't include the socks and the gift (neither are part of my grocery budget), then the I saved more like 64% on this shopping trip for food and HBA. All in all, I think I got some pretty good deals, especially considering the amount of Kashi products I was able to get cheap.



As a side note, I just wanted to pass along to you that Target is having a clearance on a lot of their toys right now, and I only see them having better clearance prices. Most are at about 30%, but if this year is anything like last year, there will be even better toy clearance prices within the next month or so. This is the time of the year where they want to get rid of last year's toys, to make room for the new toys for Christmas. So, if you have a little extra money, this would be a great way to get some gifts for the kids.

Also, if you are looking for patio furniture, they have them marked down 75% off!!


Lisette

4 comments:

  1. Do you use the Target in Ithaca? I called them to ask their coupon policy and they wouldnt tell me. Said I had to go in person to see if they accept a particular coupon like internet ones,etc..

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI ANONYMOUS,

    THAT IS TOO BAD THAT YOU GOT THAT RESPONSE? DID YOU ASK TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER? THE FRONT END PERSON YESTERDAY DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU COULD USE A MANUFACTURE AND TARGET COUPON ON ONE ITEM AND HAD TO CALL TO SOMEONE ELSE (PROBABLY A MANAGER). I WOULD GUESS THAT YOU WEREN'T TALKING TO SOMEONE WHO KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT COUPONS, BUT I COULD BE WRONG.

    THERE IS A CORPORATE POLICY. HERE IS THE POLICY I FOUND ON COUPONMOM http://www.couponmom.com/index.php?cid=393 , BUT I ALSO WROTE TO THE COMPANY BY EMAIL TO GET SOMETHING OFFICIAL IN WRITING. IF YOU EMAIL ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS (COUPONQUEENOFCORNING AT HOTMAIL DOT COM) I WILL FORWARD YOU THE EMAIL WHEN I RECEIVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I make a suggestion to have popcorn for even less?

    It is an initial investment, but much less money in the long run.

    We bought a 50lb bag of Act II Popcorn at Sam's Club. It varies in price, but it's around $15. We also bought the Act II popcron oil; you will use about 3 containers per bag. I think these are around $9-$10, but I don't remember on them exactly.

    At Target, we bought a manual stovetop popper. It's a Back To Basics Stovetop popper. It costs $20.

    We usually have popcorn as a family once a week. We used to pop 6 bags of popcorn in the microwave each week.

    50lbs of popcorn has lasted us over a year. We keep in a 6 gallon white food-grade bucket. We keep a smaller amount in a quart canning jar with a lid for using each week, and just refill from there when needed (about every 3 weeks). It only takes 1/2 cup of popcorn to fill the popper. We eat more popcorn than we did before, for a lot less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU PRUDENT HOMEMAKER. I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT DOING THIS. WE CHECKED OUT POPPERS WHEN WE WERE AT WALMART A FEW WEEKS AGO AND FOUND THEM AROUND $20. ALTHOUGH WE WOULD PROBABLY BUY ONE AT TARGET IF WE CAN FIND IT BECAUSE WE PREFER BUYING FROM THERE.

    WE DO HAVE A SAMS CLUB AND WE HAVE A MEMBERSHIP - WE GET IT FOR FREE BECAUSE OF MY SISTER. SO I WILL LOOK INTO THE 50 POUNDS BAGS. WHERE DO YOU GET THE FOOD-GRADE BUCKETS?

    ONCE I START WORKING WE WILL PROBABLY DO AS YOU DO.

    ALSO TO MY READERS - CHECK OUT PRUDENT HOMEMAKER'S SITE. IT IS REALLY AWESOME. LOVE THE PICS OF THE STOCKPILE AND I AM SOOOOO JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete