Friday, July 3, 2009

Frugal Meal Friday 7/3


Photobucket


Every Friday I will be sharing with you a frugal recipe. These meals will average $5 or less for a family of four, and many will give you lots of leftovers for lunches. If you have any recipes you would like to share with others, please feel free to email it to me at: couponqueenofcorning @ hotmail.com and I will include it in my Friday's posts.



Homemade pizza is on the menu for today. It tastes soooo good and is very frugal since you can add whatever toppings you would like. It is definitely cheaper than buying a sheet pizza for $20. You can use whatever pizza dough you would like. I use one from my Betty Crocker cookbook and it comes out great every time. Here are a few recipes I found online that you can use: pizza crust 1, Chicago deep dish pizza crust, and thin crust.

Now, we like our pizza crust thick, so I usually let it rise once, put it in the pan and let it rise again. This makes a really nice thicker crust. If you like your crust thinner, just don't let it rise for the second time.You will then want to bake the crust for 15-20 minutes at 375 until crust is just starting to get golden.

Now the fun part: adding the toppings. Add tomato sauce, pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce to the top of your pizza. I usually use about 1/4 of a jar of sauce and then I will use the rest within the next few days for chicken Parmesan, a spaghetti side, etc. Add mozzarella cheese or you could use any cheese you have in your fridge. Now just pick your toppings. I usually put chopped onions and peppers (I chop these up and freeze them for easy meal prep), pepperoni, and hot sausage (I usually use 2 patties from Aldi's) on ours.

After you have all your ingredients on your pizza, put it back in the oven and bake until cheese is fully melted. And enjoy. Add a salad or a veggie to round out the meal a little more.

The price will depend on what toppings you add to the pizza. Here is the breakdown of cost the way I make mine:
  • Pizza dough - homemade costs me about $.30
  • cheese - I buy on sale (keeps for several months) usually at $2 or less for 8 oz
  • 2 sausage patties - I buy a package of them for around $3.50 at Aldi's and I think there are about 18 patties so about $.40 if I use 2.
  • pepperoni - I buy the packs when they are $2 or less. I would say it costs less than $.50 for the pepperoni I use.
  • 1 onion - I can usually get several pounds for a little over $1. So, I would say this was about $.25
  • 1/2 -1 pepper depending on size - I buy these 3/$1.75 at Aldi's so even if I use a whole pepper it is still less than $.60.
So, for about $4.00 I can make a really tasty pizza. Adding a vegetable still keeps me under the $5 mark.

I made this last week and it was yummy! I also made strawberry banana muffins for dessert. These turned out yummy and I had the opportunity to use up a bunch of those free strawberries I had gotten. Here is the link to the recipe I used if you would like to make it: Strawnana Muffins.






Lisette

3 comments:

  1. If you have a Sam's Club near you, you can get a 5lb block of cheese for less than $2 a pound. Last time I went it was down to $1.51 a pound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. THAT'S A GOOD PRICE. I WENT WITH THE $2 A HALF POUND BECAUSE IT WAS A NORMAL SALE PRICE FOR MOST STORES AROUND HERE. I WILL HAVE TO CHECK SAM'S THE NEXT TIME WE ARE THERE. WE GET WIC RIGHT NOW AND GET A POUND A MONTH AND THAT IS USUALLY ENOUGH, BUT WE MAY LOSE WIC NOW THAT I WILL BE GETTING THE NEW JOB - WE WILL BE MAKING $806 GROSS A WEEK AND I'M NOT SURE OF THE MAXIMUM YOU CAN MAKE. WE SHALL SEE.

    5 POUNDS IS A LOT OF CHEESE. HOW DO YOU STORE IT TO KEEP IT FROM GOING BAD. I KNOW THAT IT WILL LAST IN THE FRIDGE FOR A FEW MONTHS. DO YOU FREEZE ANY OF IT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can freeze cheese, it freezes best in slices or shredded. It will have a slightly different texture, but tastes and melts just fine.

    ReplyDelete